Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Other You

this morning. 
I thought I saw you. 

from a distance, she 
walked towards me; 
pigeon-toed tough, 
just like you

her face turned, wrists 
circled in bracelets, 
a cigarette dangling; 
she exhaled with a snarl
more bark than bite

I imagined short, abused nails, 
a home-executed tattoo, 
eyes like Bette, always 

I was mistaken 

her shadow grew long
against the morning, 
but yours grew tall 
across my mind 

the evening 
we said goodbye 
you reassured me

everything. was. fine. 

I couldn't stop crying; 
thankful. fearful. helpless. 

from any distance, 
I cannot not worry 

that everything you create
disintegrates beneath 
the weight of a mind 
too brutal for your loveliness

raw. sweet. innocent. 
the least unworthy of 
what it's done to you 

I've always wished 
I could save you; 
remembered this 
very morning, 
that I can't

I can only hold your shadow; 
love you from a distance

I will. I do. 

1 comment:

  1. Very emotional Heather. First love lost.

    ReplyDelete